Rewrite searchDN based on searchFilter

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the best way to enable rewriting of the searchDN based on the searchFilter.

I have searched through the archives, and I see that my question was expressed in this 2004 email: http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200401/msg00612.html. I couldn't seem to find any other relevent posts.

As this response is a number of years old, do those recommendations still stand?  Is this operation slapd.conf configurable? Is the best way forward to develop a separate overlay to perform this operation? Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew