Question about ldap backend

 Hi to all, I'm testing the backend ldap in order to make a proxy for
an existing OpenLDAP instance (call it REAL). As stated in the manual,
the ldap database is like a proxy. After configuring the "proxy" LDAP
server (call it PROXY) I'm able to read the real content of REAL from
PROXY, so the proxing is working well, but when I try to modify
something on PROXY, instead of doing the change on REAL, OpenLDAP
gives me this error:

ldap_chase_referrals
read1msg:  V2 referral chased, mark request completed, id = 7
new result:  res_errno: 8, res_error: <modifications require
authentication>, res_matched: <>
read1msg:  0 new referrals
read1msg:  mark request completed, id = 7
request 7 done
res_errno: 8, res_error: <modifications require authentication>, res_matched: <>

Following the documentation I configured the PROXY server, so this is
the main configuration in slapd.conf of PROXY:

database	ldap
uri	"ldap://localhost:389";
bindmethod=simple
binddn="cn=root,o=Test,c=IT"