Re: Can't add Organizational Unit

2007/8/9, Pierangelo Masarati <ando@sys-net.it>:
Daniel Guerrero wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to add an ldif with the definition of a organizational unit,
> and an error message appears:
>
> bdb_db_open: database already in use
> backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (-1)
> slap_startup failed

You probably ran slapadd whle slapd was running.  You're supposed to use
slapadd only if you know what you're doing, ldapadd is the right client
for day to day activity.

now i'm using ldapadd, and it wants me to enter a password... i tryed my RootDN password but it don't works... any idea of what kind of password it demands?

> I search for some solution on the web and i found these:
>
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200511/msg00143.html
>
> Where was told to me that some instance of slapd was already using the
> database. So, i try to stop (and/or reboot) the slapd process.
>
> Then another error appears:
>
> bdb_db_open: Warning - No DB_CONFIG file found in directory
> /usr/local/var/openldap-data: (2)
> Expect poor performance for suffix dc=intranet,dc=techno,dc=com.

not a big deal for testing, but in real life you should definitely
configure DB_CONFIG.  For instructions, read Berkeley DB documentation,
the Admin Guide and the FAQ.

> => bdb_tool_entry_put: id2entry_add failed: DB_KEYEXIST: Key/data pair
> already exists (-30996)
> => bdb_tool_entry_put: txn_aborted! DB_KEYEXIST: Key/data pair already
> exists (-30996)
> slapadd: could not add entry dn="ou=h350,dc=intranet,dc=techno,dc=com"
> (line=6): txn_aborted! DB_KEYEXIST: Key/data pair already exists (-30996)
>
> I think i must not stop the slapd process, but restarting it the first
> error appears again.

You're adding (again probably with slapadd) an entry that already
exists.  Use ldapadd.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team