Re: High availability

Buchan Milne wrote:
On Thursday 16 August 2007 16:09:45 Taymour A. El Erian wrote:
I would like to make my request now more clear:

I want to have 2 master servers in a 2 node cluster (active/standby)
using shared storage (irrelevant topic here) and 1 slave server. The 3
servers should be using the same IP address (using a layer 4 switch or
IP load balancer).

This is not active/standby then.

1 master will be running and the other not accessing the storage.
This IP address will be used in all ldap aware applications. In case one application tries to do a write operation and
it hits the slave, the slave should redirect it to the master (which
will have another IP address or URI different than the whole group IP
address).

Is this possible, does it make any sense ?

No, this does not make sense.

What may make sense would be:
-active/standby cluster with one published IP address
-load balancer using cluster IP and slave
-slave setup sanely with updateref set to hostname of clustered IP

Or, even better, 2 slaves load-balanced, active/standby cluster, updateref on both slaves pointing to hostname of clustered IP.

Or, load-balanced multi-master with 2.4.
I guess this is what I actually meant but maybe I did not say it right. The main problem is that I do not want the clients to chase referrals, I would like to use the chain overlay to automatically have them redirected.

I am currently using multimaster with 2.0.x
Regards,
Buchan

--
Taymour A El Erian