Re: Deleting subtree - server side

> Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>> I recall seeing some old specification (e.g.
>> <draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete>, expired 2001).
>
> I'm confused now. HEAD announces LDAP_SERVER_TREE_DELETE_OID
> (1.2.840.113556.1.4.805) in its rootDSE. So I thought this control is
> already implemented in HEAD (upcoming 2.4). Yes?

No.  Some time ago, I was planning to implement it in back-sql, but never
completed that work.  So, yes, slapd recognizes this control (HEAD only),
but no backend handles it.

>> A much better approach
>> would be to use LDAP transactions (e.g. <draft-zeilenga-ldap-txn>) so
>> that the operation either fails or succeeds atomically.
>
> Hmm, but with this approach the client would still have to send all the
> delete requests for single entries. Yes? This is bad for performance
> (very chatty on the wire, many LDAP requests to process in the frontend
> of the server. etc.). I think subtree deletion could be handled on the
> server-side more efficiently. From the client's perspective it's atomic
> processing of a single delete request.

Well, I didn't mean it like that.  I meant that along the lines of the
implementation of txn, transactional multiple deletes could be performed.
This would allow back-bdb and back-hdb to support that control (and ease
many internal operations that would be much better with transactional
semantics, think of slapo-refint and so).

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.