Re: Connection timeout

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Howard Chu wrote:

> > What I am seeing is a timeout of a minute before switching to Server2.
>
> That would be normal when trying to contact a nonexistent host, and
> depends entirely on your kernel's TCP stack/connection timeouts. As
> already noted, you can explicitly set a shorter timeout using
> LDAP_OPT_NETWORK_TIMEOUT.

Which I've now built into our applications, as OpenLDAP itself would
appear to have no support for this situation.  I suppose I should
contribute a patch or something, along the lines of "CONN_TIMEOUT 5" etc.

> > Revealingly, should the client attempt to contact itself first (where
> > there is no server) then the switch-over happens right away, but the
> > network guru swears up and down that there are no packet filters in
> > the way.
>
> When a host is alive but simply has no server on the requested port, the
> TCP stack immediately sends a "connection refused" response to the
> client, so generally there should be no delay. Again, this is normal,
> and any "network guru" should know that.

My fault; I misled said guru...

--
Dave Horsfall DTM VK2KFU  Ph: +61 2 9552-5509 (direct) +61 2 9552-5500 (switch)
Corinthian Eng'ng P/L, Ste 54 Jones Bay Whf, 26-32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont 2009, AU