RE: Error message while starting service

2.2.29's a bit old, but if you look in the source for that build you should
be able to determine the cause of the error. At a guess, error 16 is "port
already in use", so you're likely on the right track. At some point in the
past slapd was given the ability to look in the registry for the port number
(the listener, actually) and that information, too, is in the source.

If you're looking for something a bit newer, go get one of our distributions
based on 2.3.x - we released a free Windows distro last month.
Documentation, including information on changing the port number, is in the
ReadMe that's included with the distribution.

We run OpenLDAP on AD domain controllers all the time- just change the
listener to use a different port number.

Cheers,

-Matt

Matthew Hardin
Symas Corporation
Packaged and supported LDAP solutions powered by OpenLDAP:
http://www.symas.com