Re: is it possible to configure openldap to return latest modified entries first without using sorting feature?

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Dear list

As the project I am working on requires, all ldap search results should
return latest-modified entry first. This requirement have many practical
reason behind it and is an important requirement. I solve this problem
by always invoke ldap search with 'sort' option.

I believe by doing so I have lowered down performance, especially the
search result is often several thousands records. Now the server is
overburden. I have noticed if I don't use sort feature, the result is
always the reverse of the project requirement: last modified entries are
displayed last. (project requirement is: last modified entries are
displayed first.)

That must be pure coincidence. Entries are returned in their order of creation, not order of modification. There is no configuration that will change this ordering.

--
  -- Howard Chu