Re: referential integrity (patch included)

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 06:55:16PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> >I have been reading the docs, looking for a way to acheive referential
> >integrity as it is done in RDBMS.
> Write a new overlay to do what you want...

I modified slapo-constraint to get the feature I needed: it is now able
to verify that an attribute value is bound to the existing values of
another attribute.

Attached is a draft patch for review. It works, but there are a few things
I have been doing without really knowing if it was correct or not, so it
might be working by accident :-) Is there something wrong in this code?

Then there is the UI question. For now it's configured in slapd.conf like
this:
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=example,dc=net"
overlay         constraint
constraint_attribute title key netExampleTitle

Which means that add and modify on title will fail if the new value is
not an existing netExampleTitle value. I used the keyword "key" with
RDBMS referential integrity in mind, but I'm not sure it's that clear
in this context. Suggestions are welcome.

The update to man page is missing yet. I know.

Also, I had trouble understanding the style used in these sources. Is there
an official style guide for OpenLDAP?

If the approach is okay, I'll make an updated patch based on feedback to
this one and file an ITS with it.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org