Re: [Rivendell] idassert-bind not working as expected?

Your setup, with minor changes (the naming contexts, and the remote
server is OpenLDAP as well) works just fine with current re23 and HEAD
code, using either slapd-meta(5) (why?) or slapd-ldap(5) with
slapo-rwm(5).  So the devil must be in the details.  In any case, since
OpenLDAP 2.3.30 there were at least 10 fixes/ehnahcement to
slapd-ldap(5) and at least 6 to slapd-meta(5), so an upgrade might help.

p.

Federico Grau wrote:
> With minimal information as requested by the moderators multiple times.  Why
> doesn't idassert-bind work as expected?  When I try an anonymous query to an
> "LDAP" server via an OpenLDAP server configured as a proxy (backend meta , or
> backend ldap), the query fails because the OpenLDAP server does not bind (even
> when I try setting the "idassert-bind" option).
>
>     # sample failed anonymous query to AD via OpenLDAP
>     ldapsearch  -H "ldap://localhost/"; -b "ou=windows,dc=rfa,dc=org" -x
>
>     # expected query to be performed by ldap server
>  	ldapsearch -H "ldap://dc1.rfa.org/"; -b "cn=users,dc=rfa,dc=org" \
>  		-D "CN=LDAP Proxy user account,OU=Windows,DC=rfa,DC=org" -W \
>  		-x
>
>     # using (tcpdump -x -s0 port 389) I never see a bind sent from OpenLDAP,
>     # and instead I see an error returned from the "LDAP" server because a
>     # bind not successful.
>

>     # backend meta portion of the slapd.conf file
>     ##database    ldap
>     database    meta
>
>     suffix      "ou=windows,dc=rfa,dc=org"
>     uri         "ldap://dc1.rfa.org/ou=windows,dc=rfa,dc=org";
>
>     suffixmassage   ou=windows,dc=rfa,dc=org
>                     cn=users,dc=rfa,dc=org
>
>     idassert-authzFrom "dn:*"
>     #Xidassert-bind   bindmethod=simple binddn="ldap-proxy@rfa.org" credentials="222222"
>     idassert-bind   bindmethod=simple binddn="CN=LDAP Proxy user account,OU=Windows,DC=rfa,DC=org" credentials="222222"  mode=none
>     dncache-ttl     60
>

> My environment is made up of Debian stable (4.0 Etch) on the workstations and
> OpenLDAP server, OpenLDAP 2.3.30-5 on the server.  "LDAP" Server on the remote
> end.
>

> thank you,
> donfede

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati