Re: using openldap as a translation layer.

Jim,

No answers here yet, just a vote for what you want. I am working hard on exactly the same type of problems - trying to get OpenLDAP to handle these types of middle-man translations/prep-work.

Joe

S James S Stapleton wrote:
Can I use open-ldap as a translation layer for queries with a ldap client with minimal configuration potential?

Right now the client (which cannot be trivially modified), can use LDAP authentication, sort-of. What it does, is it takes your user name, and assignes it to the 'uid' attribute, and then tacks on whatever string is in the config to form a distinguished name. For example, if I used 'stapleton' as my username and the config had 'ou=People,dc=domain,dc=tld', it would query for 'uid=stapleton,ou=People,dc=dmain,dc=tld'. Unfortunately, people usernames are everything before the '@' sign in their email, and this is not their uid. The uid is a number, that is used nowhere else. The standard process that we use is to take their user name and perform an ldap query to get the uid from the email, and then use the uid to verify if the user is correct.

Example:
ldap://server:389/uid=441068,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=tld
pulls up my information

Now, if I want to get my uid, I'd do this:
ldap://server:389/ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=tld?uid?sub?(mail=stapleton@mydomain.tld)

The client, as described cannot do that, if a user attempts to use what they expect their user name to be, it will send:
uid=stapleton,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=tld
or
uid=stapleton@mydomain.tld,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=tld

Neither of which will authenticate. Is there a way to make OpenLDAP provide a middle layer to handle this?

Thank you,
-Jim Stapleton