How long should replication take?

I have a server and slave setup with syncrepl, openldap 2.3.34

Here is my syncrepl stanza on the slave:

syncrepl rid=1
  provider=ldap://ldap1.sample.edu.au:389
  starttls=yes
  type=refreshAndPersist
  interval=00:00:01:00
  retry=1,2,3,4,5,+
  searchbase="dc=sample,dc=edu,dc=au"
  filter="(objectClass=*)"
  scope=sub
  attrs="*"
  schemachecking=off
  updatedn "cn=Replica,dc=sample,dc=edu,dc=au"
  bindmethod=simple
  binddn="cn=SyncUser,dc=sample,dc=edu,dc=au"
  credentials="secret"

If I do only a few updates, the sync seems quite fast.

If I run a script to make about 60,000 modifications on the master, this
takes about 20 minutes to run. The slave starts updating immediately,
however it soon falls behind. It takes over an hour, since the last change
to the master, for the slave to be in sync.

Is this expected behaviour?

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia

Please avoid sending me Word or Power Point attachments.