Re: Syncrepl, and some objectClass errors

Lesley Walker wrote:

I also note that these exact same messages were discussed in December:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200612/msg00046.html
but this discussion went over my head, so I would welcome any words-of-one-syllable explanations.

Ignore those messages. Sorry, more than one syllable required...

The main problem I'm trying to troubleshoot is this:

This is most likely ITS#4813, fixed in 2.3.34. As noted in that ITS, it's a bit tricky to manually reproduce the problem since it's quite timing dependent.

In every case, there's a log entry:
do_syncrep2: rid 123 LDAP_RES_INTERMEDIATE - SYNC_ID_SET

followed by some number of these:
syncrepl_entry: rid 123 LDAP_RES_SEARCH_ENTRY(LDAP_SYNC_ADD)
    ("some number" is MUCH less than the number of records)

then:
do_syncrep2: rid 123 LDAP_RES_INTERMEDIATE - REFRESH_PRESENT

followed by some (other) number of these:
syncrepl_del_nonpresent: rid 123 be_delete
            uid=whatever,ou=Accounts,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (0)

*INCLUDING* be_deletes for nearly ALL the top-level entries:
be_delete cn=root,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (0)
be_delete ou=Accounts,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=Mailbox,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=Services,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=Offices,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=Networks,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=Rooms,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=Group,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=EmailLists,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=People,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)
be_delete ou=Computers,dc=example,dc=co,dc=nz (66)

This would seem to leave the database completely empty, and in a state where nothing and nobody can authenticate to it. No amount of stopping/restarting has any effect (because it thinks it is in sync) until we repair it by starting with the empty sync cookie.

There have been at least 10 instances of this fault on different servers in the last 1-2 weeks.

Because I can't reproduce the problem on demand, I won't know for sure whether or not the new version fixes it, but I have built the new version and am now running it on a test server.

--
  -- Howard Chu