An ACL question

Hi,

I understand the general rule for ordering ACLs, but the application still sometimes throws me.

In my people hierarchy, I need several attributes to be visible to anonymous connections: uid and mail.  Here's my original set of ACLs:

access to dn.
  attrs=userpassword
    by anonymous auth

access to dn.
    by dn="cn=Postfix,ou=Special Users,o=linfield.edu" read
    by group/linfieldGroupOfUniqueNames/uniqueMember="cn=ferpa administrators,ou=People,o=linfield.edu" read
    by self read

access to dn.
  attrs=userPassword,maillocaladdress,useDefaultAlias,spamDisposition,checkForDirtyWords
    by self write

I have added the following ACL in every conceivable location (the top, the bottom, and the two in-betweens) and I still can't access the fields anonymously:

access to dn.
  attrs=uid,mail
    by * read

What am I doing wrong here?