Re: Documentation

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

<gonzales@linuxlouis.net> wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement.

You are obviously welcome to disagree. I will note, however, that I periodically browse the how-to's returned by google, and contact (or attempt to at least) the authors to get them to take them down or update them. So I have a rather good idea of what is out there. And the majority of it is not correct, or at least not correct in relation to the current release series (2.3). And I've seen them cause endless confusion, both on the list and the #ldap channel on freenode. I'm glad you had a good experience, but you are the exception, rather than the rule (unfortunately).

If I can add something to the conversation:

A well written HOWTO is useful, but it is very version dependant.

What is true for version 2.0 is not for version 2.3, obviously, so a new
HOWTO needs to be written when the time comes.  That can be done from
someone else or from the author of the original version, but the new version
does not make the original version invalid.

I find it useful when I'm running through the initial setup to document the
ins and outs.  That can be made into a howto and published under a license
that allows others to copy, modify and redistribute giving credit to the
original authors.

I think that without things like howto's kicking around, (for example the
LDAPv3 howto) the actual implementation becomes far far more difficult.

Just my two cents, and I hope that someone finds it useful input.

James

--Quanah

-- James Bourne, Senior Systems Administrator Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA www.mtroyal.ca

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."