Re: Documentation

<quote who="Quanah Gibson-Mount">

> --On Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:30 PM -0400 Greg Martin
> <gmartin@gmartin.org> wrote:
>

>> On the other hand, having a howTo get you started on the road to
>> investigation can be a good thing.  For me, the path to LDAP knowledge
>> was not best started with a walk through slapd.conf.  A running server
>> with basic config can allow you to investigate LDAP at an appropriate
>> level.  You may be "lost" when you get to your first tough question, but
>> you are lost in the middle of a highway with a bunch of signs telling
>> you
>> where to head for answers.  No HowTo is created in a vacuum.  More
>> knowledge can be found at the end of the google path when you are ready.
>>
>> Also, when you are trying to learn to fish, you are probably not ready
>> understand the workings of the reel, how to make lead weights and to tie
>> a perfect knot.
>>
>> My point is that there is more than one way to learn.  Options are good.
>
> But the majority of "How-To" documents I've found via google are just
> flat-out *wrong*.  The only thing they teach people is incorrect ways to
> set things up, which leads to mass confusion, and complaints to the list
> about "poor documentation".  And getting people to take down and/or fix
> their erroneous how-to's is nearly impossible.

I agree, but sometimes people don't care and get a thought in their head,
"I want to setup OpenLDAP!", follow a howto and they've done it. Now
they're OpenLDAP experts ;-)

As long as we work our docs to be the best they can be (I'm sure that's
been in a movie before ;-) ), then what else can we do?

Gavin.