Re: *****SPAM***** openLDAP replication and trigger a script or exec binary

Ivan R. Sy Jr. wrote:

> I seem can't find a way to allow OpenLDAP to execute a shell script or
> exec binary whenever it gets modified by slurpd.
>
> My agenda is to have master->slave LDAP replication and when the slave
> is modified via slurpd, it will then execute something (shell
> script/binary/anything) from the system and then resumes normal
> operation (returning success code to slurpd)
>

> Here's what i understand with openLDAP replication:
>
> Step 1: An LDAP client starts up and connects to a master /slapd/.
> Step 2: The LDAP client submits an LDAP modify operation to the master
> /slapd/.
> Step 4: The master /slapd/ performs the modify operation, writes out the
> change to its replication log file and returns a success code to the
> client.
> Step 5: The /slurpd/ process notices that a new entry has been appended
> to the replication log file, reads the replication log entry, and sends
> the change to the slave /slapd/ via LDAP.
> Step 6: The slave /slapd/ performs the modify operation and returns a
> success code to the /slurpd/ process.
>
> in step6, is there a way that slapd performs the modify operation... and
> "execute a shell script or binary and when it exists", it returns a
> success code to slurpd process?
>
> maybe a patch somewhere? or a clue where to set this hook? or any light
> on this?

You need to write a custom overlay that does what you require, and
instantiate it on the replica.  See servers/slapd/overlays/slapover.txt
for a brief description, and in general anything in
servers/slapd/overlays/*.c for inspiration.  Back-shell and back-perl
may serve as guidelines about executing code like shell/perl scripts,
but as soon as you know what you want to obtain, coding it in C within
your overlay might be a better solution.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.n.c.