Re: masking LDAP_SIZELIMIT_EXCEEDED

Hmm, maybe drawing a parallel to an ACL was a bad idea (although this behavior does sound similar to "disclose" to me because I want to not expose the truth to some unprivileged clients). The clients I want to keep in the dark are due to their code path, not because the information is something that I want to keep from them for privacy/security per se.

We have entries along the lines of:

uid=person1,o=Org1,c=US
uid=person2,o=Org1,c=US
uid=person2,o=Org2,c=US
uid=person3,o=Org2,c=US

This is totally valid in our (feel free to call it warped) view of the world. person2 is indeed the same physical person, but they only intersect on "uid" from the directory perspective. Very notably, person2@Org1 and person2@Org2 have different userPassword attributes.

I'm sure this all sounds slightly ridiculous, but it actually works quite well. It makes things particularly easy for administrators of systems in either Org1 or Org2. The exception is on queries that span Org*. We've seen two basic client behaviors with off-the-shelf software:

1. Search, and use the first candidate entry that's returned. Our users hae been trained that "Org1" is the most important and they should use that password/expect those attributes on systems that span units.

2. Search, and error out since multiple candidates are returned.

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with (2), but it causes my example "person2" to not get access. What I'd like is to mimic (1). I've been patching client software to that behavior, but it seems that there's a lot of (2) out there. So I'm looking for something server-side to fix this "permanently". If I set a sizelimit of 1, then only

uid=person2,o=Org1,c=US

will be returned on a '(uid=person2)' query. The problem is that the return code is not LDAP_SUCCESS, so I error out on that issue. If I mask the exceeded result, then the (2) clients will be blissfully ignorant that person2 spans multiple entries, and grant access under the Org1 candidate dn (which is what I want).