Re: [JunkMail] Re: libldap_r thread-safety problems

Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

> You might try reading the INSTALL file that is included with the source
> distribution. Section 2. Set the LIBS variable.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

[libldap_r trough libcurl]
> Which essentially means you have no idea how it is getting used.

That's why the thing is unpleasant to debug.

> As I said in my previous message - when we're forced to use a
> non-reentrant function, we protect it with a mutex. But that mutex only
> protects calls from our code. If there are other threads in other
> software calling the same libc functions, they will not be guarded by
> our mutexes, and so their behavior is indeterminate. This is one reason
> why we cannot guarantee support for libldap_r in arbitrary code.

Well, it seems to me that you could garantee that, if libldap_r only
used thread-safe functions. A configure flag to request libldap_r build
to use only thread-safe function or fail would be very helpful.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz