Re: syncrepl updates from consumer

John Drescher wrote:
I have just added a second openldap server 2.3.30 to my network and
setup syncrepl in refreshOnly mode. I connected to the consumer ldap
server using a ldap client but when I tried to make a change I got an error
stating that I must have an update referral setup. After adding the
updateref to my consumer slapd.conf and restarting that I get an error
stating that "modifications require stronger authentication desc
Strong(er) authentication required."

Now if I try to add updatedn to the consumer slapd.conf I get the
following error starting the ldap server:
<updatedn> database already shadowed

Here is the last bit of my slapd.conf from the consumer:
syncrepl
  rid=100
  provider="ldap://192.168.1.40:389";
  binddn="uid=syncuser,ou=People,dc=radimg,dc=pitt,dc=edu"
  bindmethod=simple
  credentials=###CHANGED###
  searchbase="dc=radimg,dc=pitt,dc=edu"
  filter="(objectClass=*)"
  attrs"*"
  schemachecking=off
  scope=sub
  type=refreshOnly
  interval=00:06:00:00

updateref ldap://192.168.1.40

syncrepl needs no updatedn, and what you report above is the expected behavior. Did you happen to read the admin guide or slapd.conf(5) about sync replication?

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.n.c.