Re: Migrating openldap db backend from ibdm to bdb

Asrai khn schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I want to migrate our openldap db backend which currently using idbm to
> bdb,
> Matt have suggested following steps, would you please kind enough to put
> some more light on few steps
>
> <snip>
> Migrate to BDB or HDB.  Here's the rough idea:
> shutdown slapd
> slapcat -f /path/to/slapd.conf -l mydb.ldif
> vi /path/to/slapd.conf
> Change your database to a new directory.
> Read about tuning, cache sizing, and other stuff.
> Read openldap man pages. ( what to read ;)
> Read oracle's tuning docs for bdb. (we are not using any oracle things)
> Re-Read openldap man pages. (re-read for what :-S
> :wq
> slapadd -f /path/to/slapd.conf -l mydb.ldif
>
> Fix permissions on /var/run so the slapd user can write there -- this
> one is pretty easy
> </snip>
>
> Secondly, to be safe side, if something goes wrong, taking backup of ...
>
> directory       /var/lib/ldap/mydomain.com
>
> cp -r /var/lib/ldap/mydomain.com /TosomeSafePlace
>
> is enough to fallback to ibdm?
No, when you're changing from ldbm to bdb you have to change slapd.conf
accordingly. So at least one additional step would be copying back your
old config...

> I want minimum downtime, heh frankly I can't aford my ass on fire :P
1. Well, it's your job ;)
2. Make a test setup and test the procedure!
3. Repeat step 2 until you have understood what's happening and what
could go wrong including a working recovery plan.
4. Migrate the production setup with a defined desaster recovery plan.

Hmm, thats pretty basic advice and applies to a lot of scenarios, but in
my experience there is no way around getting your hands dirty. Noone can
*tell* you, so I suggest you try the steps Matt has posted and come back
when it fails (in you test setup of course).

cheers
 Paul