Re: slapcat hangs without error message

There's a chance your bdb might be corrupt. Stop slapd, run db_recover, and try the slapcat again (with slapd still stopped). Assuming you can get a decent slapcat out of that, the next step would be use it to upgrade to 2.3.33. I believe that 2.2.23 isn't safe to slapcat hot, so you won't be able to accomplish your backup goal without the upgrade.