From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com]
Sent: Wed 2/14/2007 12:14 AM
To: Rajarshi Chaudhuri
Cc: openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Building OpenLDAP with MSVC 6

Rajarshi Chaudhuri wrote:
> Howard -
>
> We used Sun ONE before - and there is no restriction on schema - so we
> have put some flexibility in our components that register with ldap. Now,
 > with OpenLDAP since the schema is fixed - that flexibility is lost; if we
 > update any component template (the data that goes into schema) - then we
 > need to re-generate the schema before re-installing the new version of
 > the component.
>
> So - that's the reason why I'm asking this question - if this restriction
 > can be somehow bypassed.

It should be clear from the other replies here that such a goal is the wrong
approach.

You should simply update your schema whenever you make changes to your
templates. With OpenLDAP 2.3 you can add new schema elements on the fly. With
OpenLDAP 2.4 you can add/delete/modify schema at will.

--
   -- Howard Chu