Re: Building OpenLDAP with MSVC 6

Howard Chu wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
Rajarshi Chaudhuri wrote:
Thanks Howard. I have also sent a mail to Symas sales for licensing
price info for CDS packages for Windows.

One follow up question - is there a way to turn off schema checking in
OpenLDAP 2.3? Is it possible in CDS distributed by Symas?

No. Schema is an integral part of the LDAPv3 specification; schema checking cannot be disabled. Why do you want to turn it off?

I realize the schema being published in the DIT is an integral part of the v3 spec (schema checking is something that could have been in v2 though as far as I would guess) however I know that other LDAP implementations do allow it to be turned off so he had a good question.

The question begs the other question though - what one is actually trying to accomplish. There isn't enough context to tell. That's why I asked for clarification.

"Other LDAP implementations that don't do schema checking" is an oxymoron - those are not LDAP implementations. They implement some bizarre vendor-specific non-standard undocumented protocol that sort of looks like LDAP until you actually try to use and interoperate with it. That may be many things, but LDAP it's not.

Well maybe OpenLDAP is the only one and thus the exception but I don't know of any LDAP implementation that doesn't have it's own little twist on the standard. The one implementation I alluded to provides the *option* to disable schema checking; by default it is on unless an administrator disables it during installation. After building a Java-based LDAP client that can communicate with 3 different directory servers I can attest to the fact that at least any 2 of them (if not all 3 in some respects) would behave differently in one way or another. It would be nice if they all conformed to the standard but when implemented by commercial entities they all want to put their own twist on the product to differentiate themselves.