Re: Schema Replication

Mark Mcdonald wrote:
Hi list,

I was wondering if there is any way to perform automatic schema delivery
to an LDAP network.

Yes, in OpenLDAP 2.3, although it's easier in OpenLDAP 2.4.

Basically we’ve started a project where the stakeholders wish to
synchronise a new database with LDAP, and the plan is to do it in small
steps as the need for each part of the database arises.  This is mainly
because the users can't define what they want in advance and the size of
the database is too big to do in one hit.

The schema is going to be defined bit by bit, and deployment of the schema
across the country is a fairly big task (~30 slaves) requiring serious
outages so what I’m after is a way to change the schema on-the-fly and
have it replicate across the network, can OpenLDAP do this?  Is this a
reasonable request?  Any better ideas?

In OpenLDAP 2.3 you can add new schema definitions on the fly, but you cannot modify existing definitions. In OpenLDAP 2.4 you can do full schema modifications on the fly.

If not, what would the scale of this kind of task be?  I’ve not touched
OpenLDAP code before and I haven’t written any serious C for a few years
but if it’s not a huge task I’d like to be able to contribute.  Comments
welcome.

Read the Admin Guide. I think you'll be better off using OpenLDAP 2.4 for this project. We should be pushing out a new 2.4 alpha release pretty soon.

Thanks Mark McDonald iiNet Limited

-- -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com Director, Highland Sun http://highlandsun.com/hyc Chief Architect, OpenLDAP http://www.openldap.org/project/