From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com] Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:42 PM
To: Rajarshi Chaudhuri
Cc: openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: OpenLDAP Backup Questions

Rajarshi Chaudhuri wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning to make a daily backup of my openldap(2.3.19 used with
bdb
backend). There are couple of questions that I have -

1. If I take a backup using slapcat while slapd is running - is there
possibility of some data loss or other inconsistency?

No.

2. Is there some other effective backup mechanism / backup tool recommended other
than slapcat.

No.
3. If I can programmatically assure that no writes happen during my
backup
phase - then does it matter whether slapd is running or not?

No.
4. I'm going to do this in both Windows and Solaris environment - so
any
suggestions like I should use something specific based on the OS?

No.
I would highly appreciate if my questions are effectively answered.

Rajarshi Chaudhuri
Genesys Telecommunications Lab, Inc
rajarshi@genesyslab.com <mailto:rajarshi@genesyslab.com>

--