Re: backend-meta usage

OK, a couple long shots (I don't really believe these, but they should be quick to try and since you're not working anyway they shouldn't hurt)...

Do TLSCACertificateFile and/or TLSCACertificatePath match TLS_CACERT and/or TLS_CACERTDIR? Can you make them that way?

Can you verify somehow that the ldap.conf you expect to be read is indeed being read? That there's no ~/.ldaprc in the way?

"TLS_REQCERT never" should set the library to its most liberal; it's somewhat surprising that it's still complaining about CA in that case.