Re: backend-meta usage

That looks like OK syntax. Get ldapwhoami(1) and similar working at the command line directly. e.g.

server$ ldapwhoami -H ldaps://directory.company.com/ [...]

I suspect this will fail. (Often CA validation fails, for example.) Once you have ldap.conf such that this works, the slapd.conf syntax you mentioned should be OK. If you can get the command line to work as the same user you're running slapd as, but slapd still fails, try turning up slapd debugging.

You can also try "tls propagate" or "tls start". See slapd-meta man page for details.