From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com]
Subject: Re: Ppolicy - password history

Andris.Eiduks@tietoenator.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very strange, because ppolicy by parameter ppolicy_hash_cleartext
> store also encrypted password value. Then where is the problem store
> recieved ecrypted passwords and also check from pwdHistory this
> encrypted value?

The difference is that when the *server* encrypts it, it has a chance to

validate the cleartext first. When the *client* encrypts it, no such
opportunity exists for the server.

> Otherwise we have a problem with PCI DSS requirements:
>
> 8.4 Encrypt all passwords during transmission and storage on all
> system components.

The obvious solution to meet this requirement is to make sure that all
connections are encrypted (using TLS, SASL, or IPSEC).

--
   -- Howard Chu