Re: syncrepl - when master restarted, slaves loose connection forever (and never reconnects)?

<quote who="Tomasz Chmielewski">
> I decided to use syncrepl (refreshAndPersist) instead of slurpd to
> synchronize.
>
> I made simple tests but something doesn't work right for me.
>

> I started a totally empty OpenLDAP slave - it got replicated
> from the master.
> Any change made on the master is also replicated fine.
>

> Unfortunately, when the connection between the slave and the master is
> broken (i.e., master restarted), the slave never reconnects. According
> to the fine slapd.conf manual, reconnection should be made quite fast:
>
>   "If the connection is lost, the consumer will attempt to reconnect
>   at an interval time (specified by interval parameter; 60 seconds by
>   default) until the session is re-established."
>

> I waited for about 12 hours, and it didn't happen.
> Restarting slave helped, and all pending changes were transferred from
> the master.
>
> Am I missing a setting or something?

Reading slapd.conf(5) correctly ;-)

"In the refreshAndPersist operation, a synchronization search remains
persistent in the provider slapd.

Further updates to the master replica will generate searchResultEntry to
the  consumer slapd as the search responses to the persistent
synchronization search.

If an error occurs during replication, the consumer will attempt to
reconnect according to the retry parameter which is a list of the <retry
           interval> and <# of retries> pairs.  For example, retry="60 10
300 3" lets the consumer retry every 60 seconds for the first 10 times and
then retry every 300 seconds for the next 3 times before stop retrying.

The ?+? in <#  of retries> means indefinite number of retries until success."

Gavin.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.