Re: slapd grows during SASL Binds

On Dec 14, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Thursday, December 14, 2006 3:55 PM -0500 Paul Turgyan <pturgyan@umich.edu> wrote:

We've seen the slapd's on our mail slaves trying to grow greater
than the 2 gigabyte resident set size. I spent two days
w/ valgrind looking for memory leaks, but I failed to find anything.
I finally discovered that repeatedly binding and unbinding using a SASL/
GSSAPI bind would cause slapd's resident set size and vm size to grow.
So I wrote
a test program to SASL Bind, issue a search, and unbind. The test
program would
do this sequence 10000 times before it stopped. The test program always
issues
the same exact search trying to eliminate any interferance from a growing
entry cache
and/or idlcache.

Interesting... I've been using SASL/GSSAPI with OpenLDAP for several years, and I agree I see memory growth in the loaded slapd, but it also stabilizes for me after a point. Have you looked at using any alternative memory allocators? I use Hoard instead of the default on my servers, and that has drastically improved memory allocation on my multi-CPU servers. You don't say how many CPU's you've got.

We have 2 cpu's w/ hyperthreading, so it kinda looks like 4 cpu's.