Re: slow queries with long strings in filters

Andreas Hasenack wrote:
On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 03:34:38PM +0100, Sylvain Amrani wrote:
Hi list,

I've got an attribute that could contains very long strings (more than
150 chr).
It's a string made of small tokens separated by spaces and slashes :

departmentUID: BA/BAC ANDL/BAPZ IDF/GRPT YVLN/CIE GN ST GERM...

The attibute is indexed with pres,eq,sub

When I search for small substrings like (departmentUID=*/GRPT*) it's
fast and ok.

When I search for a long subset of the string, the query is _very_ long
(many seconds) :
(departmentUID=BA/BAC ANDL/BAPZ IDF/GRPT YVLN/CIE GN ST*)

The substring index is not generated for long strings.

Wrong.

In the end, you may be better off spliting that big string in
multivalued attributes perhaps or somethine else.

Nonsense. -- -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com Director, Highland Sun http://highlandsun.com/hyc OpenLDAP Core Team http://www.openldap.org/project/