Is it safe to use slapcat for live ldap server backups?

Greetings folks,

The subject says it all.  Is it safe to use `slapcat` for live ldap
server backups?

The slapcat page doesn't say anything regarding this, and the OpenLDAP
FAQ-O-Matic page at http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/287.html says
rather non-definitely:

     For BDB and HDB, slapcat(8) can generally be used while the
     server is running

The few entries on this list an the Internet I've found, mostly of folks
having problems with backups and slapcat, folks are always asked "Did
you stop theserver before running slapcat?", which any answer I find has
the people saying "Yes".

Does that mean there's a non-zero chance of a mangled backups?  What
situations can't you use slapcat in?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

--
								- Marc
David Rovner

DemandTec Email Notice

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and/or proprietary information and is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient we request that you notify us via email or telephone and delete all copies of the message from your systems. Additionally, although DemandTec has taken reasonable precautions to ensure the security of this email and any attachments, we encourage you to take similar precautions and accept no liability for any loss or damage resulting from its use.
DemandTec, 1 Circle Star Way, Suite 200, San Carlos, CA 94070, 650-226-4600