problems with existing entries disappearing

Hi,

I am running OpenLDAP 2.2.13 on a CentOS 4.1 box (I am using the CentOS
ldap rpm)...

I have come across an issue, that I cannot seem to find the answer for
anywhere!...

The problem is that an entry has some how been removed from LDAP well,
according to phpLDAPadmin and also ldapsearch.

mytestentry _used to be_ in LDAP... it has now "gone?"

I am using the following ldapsearch string..

ldapsearch -x -b "dc=tree,dc=internal,dc=company,dc=co,dc=nz"
"uid=mytestentry"

results in:

# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=tree,dc=internal,dc=company,dc=co,dc=nz> with scope sub
# filter: uid=mytestentry
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 1

However, if I try to add this entry to LDAP using ldapadd

ldapadd -x -D "cn=admin,dc=tree,dc=internal,dc=company,dc=co,dc=nz" -W
-f mytestentry.ldif

I get:

adding new entry
"uid=mytestentry,ou=Testing,dc=tree,dc=internal,dc=company,dc=co,dc=nz"
ldap_add: Already exists (68)

mytestentry.ldif contains:

dn: uid=mytestentry,ou=Testing,dc=tree,dc=internal,dc=company,dc=co,dc=nz
uid: mytestentry
objectClass: account
objectClass: top
objectClass: simpleSecurityObject
userPassword: {crypt}$1$wveq.Q8L6Hv$aYl5/TmfhgxC0Zs2F41

I have a few questions:

1) Why would this entry be removed?
2) Why when I try and add the entry, it says that it exists?
3) Is there a way to fix it?
4) Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Antonio Broughton