LDAP search filter validation

hi,

Does OpenLDAP provide any routines for validating whether a given
string represents a valid LDAP search filter? This is for me to detect
invalid configuration settings in my LDAP client, and report the
problem to the end-user as early as possible. For example, I want to
catch settings like LDAPFilter="(cn=foo)", since they don't conform to
the RFC 2254. Also, a side question, is the use of brackets around the
main filter definition compulsory? All of the LDAP tools I have at my
disposal seem to allow just cn=foo type filters...

thanks in advance,

regards,
Greg