Re: slapd, bdb, 32-bit -> 64-bit

Frode Nordahl wrote:
On 16. okt. 2006, at 12.08, Buchan Milne wrote:

On Monday 16 October 2006 09:56, Frode Nordahl wrote:
On 16. okt. 2006, at 03.08, matthew sporleder wrote:

I also have a large database (my slapcat-ed file is over 4gb), but I
don't see how it's more reliable to shutdown a spare for one hour
while you scp versus four hours while you slapadd.  What's the
difference?  A minute's worth of replication to catch-up with?

I would have to take the slave down to do the slapcat as well,

No, you can slapcat while the slave is running.

Wouldn't that leave the LDIF in a inconsistent state? Or is slapcat protected by a transaction?

All write operations in back-bdb/hdb are transactional, so they are fully isolated. slapcat will only see consistent data. That was one of the reasons for writing back-bdb in the first place...

Yes, if you're using sync-repl, there is no need for this. Take any valid
snapshot of the database, slapadd on the consumer, start it up, and it will
catch up. Or, if you can wait a little bit longer, skip the whole
slapcat/slapadd step entirely.

-- -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com Director, Highland Sun http://highlandsun.com/hyc OpenLDAP Core Team http://www.openldap.org/project/