Re: incomplete slapcat

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Tuesday, October 03, 2006 4:38 PM -0700 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Tuesday, October 03, 2006 3:35 PM -0700 Bryan Irvine
<sparctacus@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/3/06, Robert Petkus <rpetkus@bnl.gov> wrote:
Folks,
We had a major meltdown of LDAP this morning.  I understood why, but
the problem was restoring the database.  slapcat, no matter how
invoked, would simply not dump the full contents of the database.  I
needed to do a ldapsearch -L.  This one doesn't make sense to me --
any ideas?? openldap-2.3.24
db4-4.2.52

tried db4_recover yet?

Starting slapd would have run recovery. I thought running slapcat would
too. But that's why I wanted to know what type of meltdown happened.

Not any more. Due to other complaints about slapcat unexpectedly leaving DB environment files owned by root or some other unintended userID, slapcat no longer performs recovery, it is strictly a read-only command. But yes, slapd would have run recovery if needed.

Okay. Then that is likely why slapcat failed and ldapsearch worked. ;) I'm guessing if slapcat were done now, it'd work just fine.
But, I guess, then slapcat should have complained and not run at all because the database couldn't be used without recover.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.n.c.