refreshAndPersist syncrepl replication stops working after a while

Hi,

I am using 2.3.24 and have one master and one slave, using the syncrepl
overlay on the master. My problem is that in refreshAndPersist mode,
after some time the slave no longer receives updates. If I restart the
slave the updates arrive. I am not sure where my problem lies. Any ideas
welcomed

Config info
===========

Master:
overlay syncprov
syncprov-checkpoint 1000 100
syncprov-sessionlog 100

Slave:
syncrepl rid=101
        provider=ldap://master:389
        type=refreshAndPersist
        searchbase="dc=example,dc=com"
        filter="(objectClass=*)"
        scope=sub
        schemachecking=off
        bindmethod=simple
        binddn="uid=syncuser,ou=System-Users,dc=example,dc=com"
        credentials=XXXXXXXXXX
        updatedn="cn=XXXX,dc=example,dc=com"

Thanks.

--