Re: DNS configuration

Hai Zaar wrote:
Dear list!

I have a DNS related question.

Hm, what does this question have to do with OpenLDAP software?

I have server named bigbox.example.com
bigbox hosts LDAP and Kerberos KDC for domain .example.com
So there are three 'A' DNS entries that point to the same IP (in that order):
A bigbox.example.com 10.0.0.10
A directory.example.com 10.0.0.10
A kerberos.example.com 10.0.0.10

So when I do ldapsearch, it
* looks for A record of directory.example.com
* get 10.0.0.10
* sends PTR query for 10.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa
* gets 'PTR bigbox.example.com PTR directory.example.com PTR
kerberos.example.com'
* And then asks KDC for ticket for ldap/bigbox.example.com, instead of
ldap/directory.example.com

So, what is want is that ldapsearch (and friends) should always refer
ldap server as directory.example.com and not bigbox.example.com
Am I missing something in my DNS configuration or is it just
ldapsearch specific behavior?

ldapsearch knows nothing about DNS or Kerberos. The behavior you're seeing is Kerberos-specific, and has nothing to do with LDAP or OpenLDAP software.

--
  -- Howard Chu