Re: Can I query an attribute's type?

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:44:32 -0700
Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

> Michael B Allen wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:03:14 -0700
> > "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> wrote:
> >

> >> slapd(8) supports the LDAP subschema discovery mechanism
> >> detailed in RFC 4512.
> >>

> > Actually I think I'm going to opt for shipping a file of known binary
> > attributes. Searching the schema is clearly not portable.
> >

> Excuse me? This has been a standard feature of LDAPv3 for several years.
> It is the *only* portable approach, by definition. All LDAPv3 servers
> must support it otherwise they are not LDAPv3 servers.

I'm not talking about shipping a server. I want my *client* routines
to convert all strings to the locale encoding but the only way to know
what's a string and what's binary is to look them up in a list.

> > Also, I'm just curious by why didn't you present the schema information
> > like all other information in the directory so that it's searchable
> > using regular ldap routines?
> >

> Since it is of course searchable using the standard LDAP Search
> operation, you clearly have no idea what you're asking.

Good! So how do you return a list of attribute names with certain
attribute syntax oids?

The closest thing I can get is something like this compound form:

ldapSyntaxes: ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.28 DESC 'JPEG' X-NOT-HUMAN-READABLE 'TRUE' )

Meaning the OID isn't addressable and therefore you cannot select elements
with it.

But I'm glad I'm wrong. So how do I do it?

Thanks,
Mike