Re: Lost users after power outage

max williams wrote:
Hey all,
Just had a power outage and after the servers had come back up there were about 5 users missing from my directory.
So, I tried to add them again but get error saying they already exist, "ldap_add: Already exists (68)", even though I cannot see them in ldapsearch or even slapcat. To fix this I had to start with a clean DB and rebuild from an old ldif file. My slave servers all had the same problem too!
I noticed this has been reported before:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200309/msg00507.html I'm using version 2.2.23-5 on FC5 linux.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

Yes, upgrade to a supported release of OpenLDAP; 2.2.x is historical. 2.3.27 is the current stable release.
Use back-bdb instead of back-ldbm.
Read the slapd-bdb(5) manpage. Read the BerkeleyDB documentation. Use checkpoints.
Read the FAQ.

 -- Howard Chu