Re: openLDAP availability (infinitessimally OT)

--On Monday, August 21, 2006 11:04 AM +0200 johan.jonemo@hep.lu.se wrote:

Back perl is experimental and known to be very buggy.  I wouldn't plan on
using it.

OK, in light of that: What is the reasonable way to run some code to get the data on demand? To give an example: one would like to generate a value for the present traffic load on a nic to be included in a query?

The shell and tcl backends seem to make it at least possible but since
these are obsolete it doesn't seem very attractive. Aren't there any
"recommended" backends to generate ones own data?

Most distro's tend to ship ancient or at least fairly outdated versions
of OpenLDAP.  You are generally better off doing something like using
Symas CDS' distribution, Buchan Milne's Mandriva packages (if using
Mandriva or RedHat), or building it yourself.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. It's just that it's harder to convince other people to make that effort if they want to use ones stuff.

Please keep replies to the list. I'll let others address your first question, and my only comment on the second bit is that the amount of pain and suffering I've seen people endure because of using distro packages is disheartening. So I guess it just depends on how much unhappiness one is willing to endure. ;)

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html