[SOLVED] Re: Correct procedure to backup LDAP?

I've now got a simple script running that shuts down slapd, runs
slapcat, and starts slapd back up. This all happens at about 3 A.M., and
seems to work great so far.

Thanks to all for your advice while I continue to explore LDAP.

-Jeff

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:08 PM +0800 Roger Thomas
> <sniper@home.net.my> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu>:
>>
>>> Why in the world are you using ldbm?  It is a known problematic
>>> database
>>> that has been removed from OpenLDAP 2.4, so it is not portable going
>>>
>>> forward.  I highly advise using one of the supported backends (bdb or
>>> hdb).
>>
>> Am currently running the old 2.0.5 on ldbm. Now how do I upgrade to 2.4?
>> I mean how do I convert my existing records in ldbm format to bdb or hdb?
>>
>> I am no expert, please go slow. TIA.
>
> Well, to start, I wouldn't go to 2.4 quite yet, it is only in alpha.
> But I would upgrade to 2.3.25+.
>
> To upgrade, you will need to export your database into LDIF format,
> either via ldapsearch or slapcat.
>
> Then you'll need to import that LDIF file into a server running the
> newer version of OpenLDAP (preferably with slapadd).  I will note that
> OL 2.0 was not very strict on data validation, so you may need to clean
> up the data in your LDIF file some before an import will work correctly.
>
> You'll also need to set up a slapd.conf file that corresponds to the
> newer syntaxes in 2.3.  Reading the Admin Guide & Quickstart Guide @
> <http://www.openldap.org> is probably a good start for that.
>
> --Quanah
>

> --
> Quanah Gibson-Mount
> Principal Software Developer
> ITS/Shared Application Services
> Stanford University
> GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html

begin:vcard
fn:Jeff Grant
n:Grant;Jeff
org:VoiceSignal;Information Technology
adr:;;150 Presidential Way;Woburn;MA;01801;USA
email;internet:jgrant@voicesignal.com
title:Linux System Administrator
tel;work:(781)970-5209
tel;fax:(781)970-5200