Re: DB_CONFIG not being read.....

--On Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:09 PM -0400 Amith Varghese <amith@xalan.com> wrote:

I'm running FC-3 with OpenLDAP RPMS (v. 2.2.29).  Recently, my backend
was corrupted which caused me to rebuild the database.  After doing  some
research, I learned the BDB backend was the "preferred" backend  and that
support for ldbm is on the way out.  So I converted to the  BDB format
using slapcat/slapadd and a new configuration file.   Everything
converted fine, but I'm now experiencing  worse performance  that I did
with the ldbm backend.

I've read the online docs about how to tune the BDB backend and added
the following parameters to my slapd.conf file

directory       /var/lib/ldap
cachesize 100000
checkpoint 1024 5

In my /var/lib/ldap/DB_CONFIG file I have the following set:

set_cachesize           0         104857600      1
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              10485760
set_lg_bsize            2097152

However, when I use slapd_db_stat to look at the BDB backend  statistics,
I see the following:

264KB 48B       Total cache size
1       Number of caches
272KB   Pool individual cache size
212781  Requested pages found in the cache (88%)

It looks like the backend is using some kind of default (264KB)  instead
of the 100MB I specified.  Does anyone know why this may be  happening?
Hopefully someone can point out an obvious mistake I'm  making.

Did you stop slapd and run db_recover with the correct version of db_recover after creating the DB_CONFIG file? It is only read one time, at the creation of the DB environment.

I'll also note that 2.2.29 is very old, and I believe RH FC3 links it against BDB 4.3, which has seemed rather unstable in comparison to BDB 4.2 or BDB 4.4. You probably want to investigate using Buchan Milne's packages, or a pre-packaged distribution like is available from Symas Corporation (<http://www.symas.com>).

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html