RE: Correct procedure to backup LDAP?

It's always safe to run an ldapsearch while your system is running :)

However, as with any backup procedure, it's wise to choose your backup time carefully.  You usually don't want to choose a time when you expect either heavy reads or heavy writes.  The middle of the night either before or after any other scripts have run is always a safe bet.