Re: slow cn=config changes; Re: Correct procedure to backup LDAP?

Howard's spoken well to the internals of back-config. I'll note:

(a) it's supposed to be safe to slapcat the hot 2.3.24 hdb, but I'm hoping you know that and therefore you want to snapshot at quiescent state only

(b) if I was trying to take a snapshot of the directory at precisely one time, I'd probably set up a consumer and kill it to take the slapcat. Or possibly come up with a accesslog consumer that applies deltas to known slapcat's. Or maybe take a slapcat that might end at t=0+, and revert the accesslog with some accesslog reverser?

[this isn't toward you personally...it applies at all times, but it seems like a good reminder]
There's a lot of discussion on what's safe (or not) on live databases lately. There's also no reason to trust me (after all, I'm just one user!), and it's open software, so nobody has to. If I was skeptical about this, for instance, I would start test008 in one window, and slapcat it in an infinite loop in another...or whatever might make you happy using it for backups at your site. If it works, great; if you can contribute a useful example of it not working, that's quite possibly even better, and myself and the rest of the community thank you.