slow cn=config changes; Re: Correct procedure to backup LDAP?

I'm trying to migrate to a reliable live update mechanism and I have tried using slapcat after putting the directory into read-only mode, but that seems to bring up additional issues.

In OL 2.3.24 with hdb, how supported is it to do the following?
$ ldapmodify
dn: olcDatabase={1}hdb,cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: olcReadOnly
olcReadOnly: TRUE
-

^D

It seems to work, usually in about a second, but sometimes can take upwards of a minute, during which time the directory seems to be in some sort of stop-the-world state where connections just hang, preventing it from being the non-intrusive backup approach I'd hoped for. The CPU usage doesn't spike and the disk usage appears normal. I've seen similar behavior with other cn=config changes.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it supposed to work better? Any ideas what might be going on or what I should look for? There don't seem to be any runaway polling loops or lwp fights going on. A truss shows a little bit of lwp polling activity and some writes going on, but nothing suspicious like the hang early in 2.3.x when shutting down with gentlehup.