question regarding index-related erros

I see the following errors :
bdb_equality_candidates: (memberUid) index_param failed (18)
bdb_equality_candidates: (uniqueMember) index_param failed (18)
in my slapd logs, and I see them when logging in both successfully and non-successfully as different users. Since I am trying to troubleshoot why one user account works and another doesn't, and this seems to be the only error that could be causing it ( even though I see it w/ successful user logins as well, but I also see successful searches after the unsuccessful ones for the users that can log in, whereas I do not see successful searches afterwards for the user that cannot log in properly - note that the problem users still get a shell prompt, but it takes forever and they don't get their Kerberos credentials since their GSSAPI login failed since their username couldn't be properly looked up to be mapped to their kerbreos credentials ). I also see the following error at the shell prompt after the user finally manages to log in :
id: cannot find name for user ID 601
I think it has something to do w/ how my indices are constructed, since I tried out some from a HOW-TO that is of somewhat questionable origin. Basically, I'm looking for confirmation that the error message is caused by faulty indices ( couldn't find anything solid on the web, most of the time that this error message was posted was in log files while the user was troubleshooting another problem that was resolved by something else and didn't seem to be related to the error messages ), and would like to know if plugging in correct/better index parameters, shutting down slapd, and then running slapindex should fix the problem. Also, the following index parameters, which are the default in the slapd.conf that ships with my distribution ( Fedora Core 5 ) :
index objectClass eq,pres
index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname eq,pres,sub
index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell eq,pres
index uid,memberUid eq,pres,sub
index nisMapName,nisMapEntry eq,pres,sub
do seem to be fairly safe as a starting point, right? That is, since I use all of those objectclasses. Though I do wonder why they are using "sub" matches for uid and memberUid...
Anyways, thanks in advance, and my apologies if the questions seem inane, but database design is one of my weak spots.
Thanks,
Derek R.

---
derek.richardson@ieee.org
derekr42@gmail.com
derekr@tlc2.uh.edu
dmrichar@uh.edu
drichardson4@uh.edu
---
"As a rule, dictatorships guarantee safe streets and
terror of the doorbell. In democracy the streets
may be unsafe after dark, but the most likely visitor
in the early hours will be the milkman."
-- Adam Michnik

begin:vcard
fn:Derek Richardson
n:Richardson;Derek
org:University of Houston;Texas Learning and Computation Center
adr:;;218 Philip G. Hoffman Hall;Houston;Texas;77204-3058;United States of America
email;internet:derekr@tlc2.uh.edu
title:Linux Cluster Administrator
tel;work:7137433361
tel;fax:7137433376