Force client to use TLS

Hello.

I would like to know if it is possible with OpenLDAP to force user to use TLS ? I know that I can create a certificate for each user and configure OpenLDAP to perform checks on client certificates for an incoming TLS session. First, it obliges to generate a certificate for each user, what I do not want to do. Second, it is only if a TLS session is initiated. What happened if the client does not start a TLS session ?

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,

Emmanuel Aubert