Re: hints for troubleshooting Replication problems

--On Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:49 PM +0200 Pavlos Parissis <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:03:34 -0700
Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

--On Sunday, June 25, 2006 6:49 PM +0200 Pavlos Parissis
<p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:

> Do you have any hints how I can troubleshoot the issue and spot the
> problem?

The problem is that you are using an ancient version of OpenLDAP
which only had LDBM as the backend, and it is likely corrupting
itself.  You should really look at upgrading to a modern, supported
release of OpenLDAP.

--Quanah

I agree with you that the old version of OL could be the root cause of my problems. But, I need to make sure that is the case and not something else. Imagine the scenario of upgrading and still have the same problem.

LDBM has known technical limitations. LDBM has known corruption issues. I don't use, and never have used, LDBM, nor would I ever intend to. It has been removed from the upcoming OpenLDAP 2.4 release series because the backends that replace it (BDB & HDB) are stable and reliable. You can continue using your ancient version of OpenLDAP, and experience the problems you are having, or you can upgrade to a release where *if* you find any problems, you can get support for it. You need to understand that support for issues with OpenLDAP 2.0 from this list does not exist, so other than perhaps paying some company to do that for you, the best thing to do is upgrade. I personally have been using slurpd replication without issue since OpenLDAP 2.1 (using BDB or HDB as the backend) and not run into any issues.

I suggest reading:

<http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=ldbm&file=1085>

and

<http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=ldbm&file=756>